Hearty Lentil Stew
Warning: Use of undefined constant linklove - assumed 'linklove' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /homepages/0/d239794658/htdocs/rachel/wp-content/plugins/facebook-comments-plugin/class-frontend.php on line 98
Hearty Lentil Stew
Author: Rachel Oberg - De Ma Cuisine
Recipe type: Main, Soup, Stew, Dinner, Stove Top
A hearty fall or winter stew that's earthy, healthy, and delicious.
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 carrots (about 1½ C), diced or chopped
- 2 celery ribs (about 1 C), diced or chopped
- 1 daikon radish (about 1½ C), diced or chopped
- 1 potato, (about 1½ C) diced or chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 radishes, (about ¼ C) diced or chopped
- 3 C spinach, roughly chopped
- 4 collard green leaves (about 1 C), roughly chopped
- 2 T tomato paste
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 2 t salt
- ¼ t pepper
- pinch ginger
- pinch cayenne (or more if you want it spicier)
- 1 T sweet paprika
- 1 T smoked paprika
- ½ T chili powder
- pinch nutmeg
- 1 C lentils, uncooked
- 4 C vegetable stock (plus ½ to 1 C water, if necessary)
- parmesan cheese, for topping
- Heat soup pot. Add oil. Add veggies and 1 t salt. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until veggies are getting tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, stir, and cook 2 minutes more.
- Add tomato paste and 1 T balsamic vinegar, stir around and cook 2 minutes.
- Add remaining seasonings, including another t of salt (if desired) and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook until lentils are soft, about 30-40 minutes. Add another ½ to 1 C water if it's getting too thick. Stir occasionally so it doesn't burn.
- Remove from heat. Add in spinach, collard greens, and 1 T balsamic vinegar. Stir until wilted down. Taste and add more seasoning if desired.
- Serve topped with parmesan cheese.
It would be fun to serve this stew in a hollowed out pumpkin or squash!
Powered by Facebook Comments