Crock Pot Roast Beef
Recipe Type: Main, Meat, Beef
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 3 hours
Total time: 3 hours 15 mins
- 1 1.5-2 lb. chuck roast, fat trimmed, if desired
- Marinade: 1 T red wine vinegar
- 3 T balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, whole
- 1 C red wine or water
- Mustard brush: 1 T dijon mustard
- 1 T chives, chopped,
- 2T to 1/4 C brewed black coffee (optional) (I used decaf)
- Whisk together marinade ingredients. Pour in a sealable container and add beef. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Refrigerate overnight (or for at least a few hours). In the morning, flip beef, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until 30 minutes before cooking.
- Drizzle Crock Pot with olive oil. Place beef in CP, sprinkle with more salt and pepper, if desired. Pour marinade in. (This is safe to do as long as it is thoroughly cooked… and if it’s not, the beef probably won’t be either. If you don’t want to, discard used marinade and make a fresh batch.)
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours, or on low 3-4 hours, or until internal temperature reaches 160F (for medium, if you want it medium rare it should be 145F).
- When beef has 30 minutes left to cook, whisk together mustard brush ingredients and brush over beef. If there’s any extra, you could pour it into the Crock Pot.
- If desired, remove from Crock Pot and let beef rest for 10 minutes before slicing.