Summer Chili – Episode 27
Written by Rachel, Posted in A Cooking Show with Rachel O, Abundant Harvest Organics, Beans, Beef, Dairy-Free, Dinner, Gluten Free, Herbs, Kid-Friendly, Legumes, Main Dishes, Meat, Soups, This Week's Feast, Vegetables
I made some yummy summer chili this week! It’s kinda like regular chili, except it has summer veggies. Like summer squash, green beans, basil, and other more year rounders like carrots and onions, all from this week’s Abundant Harvest Organics box. The squash and carrots are grated, so you don’t even notice they’re in there (not that I’d mind, but it’s fun to hide veggies sometimes, just because). Was it ever goooooood!
I forgot to eat lunch before I started filming. It was just torture to be smelling that chili for an hour. After I finally finished and plated and took photos I was going to try a bite. One turned into half the bowl and most of the cornbread… it was delicious. I ate it again a few hours later as real dinner.
I served it with this cornbread. It’s my go-to recipe. It’s easy and so delicious. (It’s even good the next day.)
We had it for dinner, and we also shared some with some friends who had a baby over the weekend. Even their picky eater ate some of it. 😉
The little “song” at the end had been stuck in my head ALL day. While editing, I think I counted 5 different times that I sang parts of it. It’s in my head again today. It makes me giggle a little.
- 1-2 lb. ground beef
- 4 C beans, cooked
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 lg. summer squash, grated (squeeze to remove excess water if needed)
- 1 C green beans, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 T tomato paste
- 3 T olive oil
- 2 T balsamic vinegar, divided
- 1 T dijon mustard
- 1 T honey
- 2 C water (or red wine, or stock, or beer)
- 1/2 C decaf coffee
- 2 t salt
- 1 t pepper
- 1/4 t allspice
- pinch cayenne
- 1 T sweet paprika
- 2 T chili powder
- 1 T smoked paprika
- 1/2 t ginger
- fresh basil, torn (for serving)
- Heat soup pot. Add beef and cook. Drain fat and return beef to pan. Add olive oil, veggies, and seasonings. Cook about 5-7 minutes, or until veggies are tender.
- Add tomato paste, stir in, cook 1 minute. Add 1 T balsamic vinegar, stir, cook 1 min.
- Add honey, dijon, water, beans, and coffee. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook over med-low heat for about 55 minutes.
- Add 1 T balsamic vinegar and cook 5 min more.
- Serve topped with fresh basil.
This episode is sponsored by: Abundant Harvest Organics, Bari Olive Oil Company, Molly Jenson, and TX Bar Organics.