Spicy Turkey Chili
|Spicy Turkey Chili||
- 1 C leftover turkey (or chicken)
- 1 1/2 C cannellini beans
- 1 sweet potato (yam), cut in 1/2″ cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 T flour
- 2-3 T olive oil, divided
- 1/2 t ginger
- 1/2 to 1 t red pepper flakes
- 1 t chili powder
- 1/2 t cumin
- 1 t smoked paprika
- 1 t sweet paprika
- 1 T honey
- 1/4 C red wine
- 2-4 C water (or stock, it would make the soup even more flavorful)
- 2 T balsamic vinegar, divided
- Heat soup pot. Add 2 T olive oil. Add onion when oil is hot (it will look like it’s rippling), cook 3 minutes. Add sweet potato, cook 5 minutes. Add honey, cook 2 minutes.
- Add garlic, turkey, cook 2 minutes.
- Move all ingredients over to one side of the pan, leaving a small space on the other side and add remaining 1 T oil, add flour. Whisk, about 30 seconds. Add wine slowly, whisking (it should start to thicken). Slowly add water (start with 2 C, add more if you need to), whisking. Add seasonings and beans.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer. Cook 30-60 minutes (it takes some time for the flavors to meld together, especially if you’re using water not stock). Add more liquid if necessary. In the last 5 minutes of cooking, add remaining balsamic vinegar.
Husband enjoyed it so much that he had 3 helpings!