There’s Sinqua in my Ratatouille? – Episode 41
I took the dog for a walk this morning. It smells like potato salad outside. Not in a good way.
In happier news, I used the sinqua that has been in the Abundant Harvest Organics boxes lately for something so yummy. I’ll admit that I was a little hesitant to try this foreign to me veggie at first. But, when I read that you could use it kinda like you would zucchini, I wasn’t as scared. I have been wanting to make Ratatouille for ages, and was so excited when a few weeks ago almost all of the ingredients were in our weekly box of produce. All but the summer squash. I decided to give the sinqua a chance. Success! We loved it!
So I thought I’d make it for you on the show. You could, of course, use summer squash if you’d prefer. But, if you’re looking for an interesting way to use the sinqua, give it a try as a replacement.
When we were eating dinner last night, I said something about how there was a whole eggplant in the dish. Husband looked up quickly and said, “There’s eggplant in here?!” I guess he didn’t know he liked it. 😉
- 1 eggplant (about 3 C), diced (peel left on)
- 2 sinqua (Chinese okra) or summer squash (about 2 C), peeled and diced
- 3 bell peppers (about 2-3 C), diced
- 2 tomatoes (about 2 C), diced
- 1 medium onion, diced (I used red, use whatever kind you have on hand)
- 1 t fresh thyme (or ½ t dried)
- 3-4 T olive oil
- 1 t garlic powder (or 4 cloves, diced)
- ½ to 1 t salt (or to taste)
- ¼ C fresh basil, chopped (for topping)
- Heat skillet. Add 3 T oil. Add onions, peppers, salt, and pepper. Cook about 8 minutes over medium or medium-low heat.
- Add eggplant, sinqua/squash, thyme, and garlic powder. Cook covered, for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato, cook covered for 5 minutes over medium heat. Cook uncovered for 15 minutes (or until the juice from the tomatoes has mostly boiled away), stirring often, over medium-high heat.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Top with a drizzle of good olive oil and basil.
This episode is Sponsored By
Powered by Facebook Comments