I’m Baaaaack – Episode 75
Written by Rachel, Posted in A Cooking Show with Rachel O, Abundant Harvest Organics, Cheese, Dinner, Fruit, Gluten Free, Grains, Herbs, Main Dishes, One Dish Dinners, Rice, This Week's Feast, Vegetables
How many ways are there to eat eggplant? Do you even like eggplant? Or are you a skeptic?
The more I cook with it, the more ways I discover that it tastes good… I didn’t used to be such a fan.
I’ve found that the salting step should not be skipped. Peeling helps too. And then of course it’s best to cook it with things that it goes well with: rice, lemon, zucchini, and tomato, for example.
Oh yeah, and see that scoop of rice? That’s a cup and a half. Doesn’t seem like a lot, right? I think this recipe makes enough for about 6-8 people. Gosh it made a lot. Why do I always forget that a little rice goes a loooooooong way?! Oh well, I will make the leftovers into Chicken and Rice Soup.
Yes, we eat soup in the summer. I don’t care if it’s too hot.
If you don’t want leftovers, invite some friends over for a summer dinner. To go along with the Risotto you could grill some chicken and veggies, toast some cheesy Garlic Bread, drink Mint Iced Tea, and have Vanilla Ice Cream with Roasted Fruit for dessert… I’m in. When do we eat?!
- 2 T olive oil
- salt (for eggplant)
- 1 medium-large eggplant, peeled and sliced (about 4 C)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 C)
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped (about 1 C)
- 1 medium-large tomato, chopped (about 1 1/2 C)
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1/4 t dried thyme
- 1 1/2 C Arborio rice
- 6-8 C chicken stock
- 1/2 C white wine (opt.)
- 2 t honey
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1 C parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 T unsalted butter
- lemon wedges, for serving
- fresh basil, chopped, for serving
- Salt eggplant and leave for 15-30 minutes (to draw out water and reduce bitterness). Rinse and pat dry. Cut into 1/2" cubes.
- Add wine and stock to a medium pot. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer (or just cover and keep warm).
- Heat a large pot. Add oil. When oil is hot, add all veggies except garlic. Cook over medium heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic, rice, and seasonings; cook 1 minute.
- Add 1 C hot stock to rice mixture. Stir. Cook over medium or medium-low heat, stirring often, until liquid is mostly absorbed. Repeat until rice is cooked (about 20-40 minutes).
- Remove from heat. Stir in honey, lemon, cheese, and butter. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Let stand 5-10 minutes.
- Serve topped with fresh basil and a squeeze of lemon.