Rachel’s 5 Cheese Pasta à la Sookie
|Rachel’s 5 Cheese Pasta à la Sookie||
- 1/4 C Plain yogurt
- 1/4 C Cream Cheese
- 1 1/2 C Grated Cheese: Extra Sharp Cheddar, English Cheddar with Carmelized Onions (can be found at Trader Joe’s), Parmesan, Monterey Jack
- 1/2 Medium onion, diced
- 5 Cloves garlic, diced (use less if you don’t like garlic as much as I do)
- Pinch Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/8 t All Spice
- Salt and Pepper
- 2-3 T Olive Oil
- 2 T All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 LB Farfalle Pasta
- 1 head of broccoli (for 2 people), cut into med sized pieces
- 1 T Olive Oil (for Broccoli)
- Heat pasta water, and pre-heat oven to 425 F.
- Heat a pan over med heat, add 2T olive oil, let it get hot; add onions; sauté until almost translucent, then add garlic (make sure pan isn’t too hot so garlic won’t burn); add spices.
- If the oven is hot, put the broccoli on a baking sheet, drizzle with 1 T olive oil and a bit of salt and pepper; bake 10-15 minutes, or until it’s slightly browned. Cook the pasta.
- Make a roux by adding 1 T olive oil, if needed, then 2 T flour; whisk in; cook out 1 minute. Add milk very slowly, whisking as you do and letting it thicken as you add. The milk needs to get hot, but just to where there’s steam, try not to let it bubble so it doesn’t break. Once the milk has thickened, and is hot, turn the heat off (I use cast-iron skillets, which really hold their heat, if you’re using a different kind of pan, you may want to keep it over low heat), add the yogurt; whisk in; add the cream cheese; whisk in; add the grated cheese (not all at once); whisk in.
- Pour pasta into cheese sauce, combine. Add more salt and pepper if needed.
- To serve: Place broccoli in the bottom of a bowl, top with pasta. Great with a crusty bread and a glass of wine.
Hope you enjoy it! Don’t forget to sub something else in, if you don’t have something that I used (broccoli, type of pasta, types of cheese etc). And, if you don’t have 5 kinds of cheese, don’t worry about it! Use what you have!