Pasta in a Pinch
|Pasta in a Pinch||
- 4 T oil (I used olive, but you could try coconut)
- 1 package penne rice pasta (or whatever pasta you like)
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed
- 3 T tomato paste
- 1 C leeks, chopped in rounds and washed
- 1 pkg mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pkg bacon
- 1/4 to 1/2 C balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 C parmesan cheese (1/2 C reserved for topping)
- 1 C pasta water
- 1 t red pepper flakes
- Cook bacon. Drain on paper towel. Crumble when cool. Drain fat from pan, but don’t clean pan.
- Cook balsamic vinegar and reduce (bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer until thickened and syrupy – keep an eye on it, it can burn quickly!).
- Cook pasta. While it cooks: Heat oil in bacon pan. Add leeks and mushrooms. Once mushrooms are partway cooked, add tomato paste, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, carrots. Cook a couple more minutes, then add the kale.
- Before draining the pasta, take 1 C pasta water and add to the mushroom mixture. Taste and add more seasoning if necessary.
- Combine pasta with sauce. Mix in parmesan cheese.
- Top each serving with bacon, parmesan cheese, and a drizzle of reduced balsamic vinegar.