Mashed Potato Soup – Episode 5
On this episode ofÃ‚ A Cooking Show with Rachel O – This Week’s FeastÃ‚ I’m cookingÃ‚ “Mashed Potato Soup”.
I made this soup for the first time 3 years ago when my friend Clara was born. I brought some soup over to her happy, yet tired parents, so they wouldn’t have to make dinner. Clara turned three last week. So I’ve made the soup in honor of her birthday and the memory of meeting this very special Bugaboo for the first time.
It’s a great way to use so much of this week (or any week)’sÃ‚ Abundant Harvest OrganicsÃ‚ box contents. It features Carrot, Turnip, Radish, Mashed Potatoes (of course), Spinach,Ã‚ Sweet Potato, Cheddar Cheese,Ã‚ Parmesan Cheese,Ã‚ and Bari Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I served it with a PearÃ‚ andÃ‚ GruyÃƒ¨re crostini, drizzled withÃ‚ Olive Oil. Almost all of these ingredients can be found either in this week’sÃ‚ box, or fromÃ‚ AHOÃ‚ as anÃ‚ add-onÃ‚ (even chicken can be bought as an add-on and the bones can be used to make stock).Ã‚
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1/2 turnip, chopped
- 1 radish (about 1/4 C), chopped
- 4 C mashed potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, , chopped
- 3 tiny onions, or 1 med, chopped
- 1-2 C spinach, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, chopped
- 2-4 C stock
- 2 C milk
- 1/4 t nutmeg
- 1/4 t ginger
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 sprig oregano
- 2 t chili powder
- 2 t smoked paprika
- 1/2 C apple cider vinegar, divided (or 1/4 wine, 1/4 C vinegar)
- 1 C cheese (cheddar and parmesan)
- 4 T olive oil
- Heat soup pot, and add oil. Add veggies (all but garlic), salt and pepper. Stir. Cover (so veggies steam a bit) and cook over med heat about 10 minutes (or until veggies are mostly soft), stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and seasonings. Cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add wine or vinegar, scraping off any bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pan. 2 minutes.
- Add potatoes, milk and stock. Bring to a boil. Add spinach and herbs, cook 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Carefully puree using an immersion blender (or regular blender, working in batches, with the center part of the lid removed – hold a towel over the opening).
- Stir in cheese and remaining vinegar. Taste and add more seasoning if needed.
- Serve with crostini or a crusty bread.
If you don’t have any leftover mashed potatoes, chop up 3-4 potatoes and add with the rest of the veggies!
Of course this would be great with bacon on top too! 🙂
This week’s menu can be found on MondayÃ‚ this week’s menuÃ‚ – have a look!