Recipe Type: Soup, Main
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 90 mins
Total time: 1 hour 45 mins
- 4 T olive oil, divided
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 C cauliflower, chopped
- 4 potatoes, cubed
- 1 rutabaga, chopped
- 2 C greens, rough chop (I used kale, spinach, and collard greens)
- 1 T fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 T chives, chopped
- 1 1/2 C corn (frozen is fine)
- 1 C cooked pork, chopped (I used leftovers)
- 1 C cheese, grated (I used cheddar, mozzarella, and parmesan)
- 1 T smoked paprika
- 1 T sweet paprika
- 1 T chili powder
- pinch all spice
- smoked sea salt
- 2 T flour
- 1/4 C apple cider vinegar, or white wine, plus 1 t
- 1 T dijon mustard
- drizzle honey
- 4 1/2 C veggie stock
- 3 C milk
- 2-4 C water (or more if it’s too thick)
- Chop veggies, greens, and herbs.
- Heat soup pot (use a large one!), add oil; heat, then add veggies (all but greens and herbs). Add seasonings. Cook over med heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add vinegar/wine. Stir. Cook 5 minutes more.
- In a separate pan, heat remaining 2 T oil. Whisk in flour and cook 30 seconds. Slowly whisk in 1 C stock. Add mustard and let thicken. Add to veggies, along with stock, milk, pork, honey, and corn (you can add water at this point too, if there’s room in the pot – be careful, it will bubble and splash, so not too close to the top!). Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook 1 hour.
- Add water (optional). Blend a little with immersion blender (optional). Cook an additional 30 minutes, or less if you’re ready to eat sooner.
- minutes before serving, add greens and herbs.
- minutes before serving, turn off heat and add cheese and 1 t vinegar.
Would be great with ham, clams, chicken, salmon, even without meat.
Would be yummy topped with bacon, chives, croutons.
Would be excellent served in a bread bowl, or with corn muffins.