Browned Butter Pasta with Italian Sausage and Basil
|Browned Butter Pasta with Italian Sausage and Basil||
Recipe Type: Main, Dinner, Pasta
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Browned Butter compliments slightly spicy Italian sausage in this dish that features summer veggies.
- 3-4 small-medium summer squash, chopped (about 3 C total)
- 1 carrot grated (about 1 1/2 C)
- 4-6 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pkg. (12 oz.) Italian sausage, sliced in rounds
- 1 C white wine, chicken or vegetable stock (or even apple juice would work)
- 1 t balsamic vinegar
- 1 T dijon mustard
- 1 T olive oil
- 4 T butter
- 5 kale leaves, cut in chiffonade (thin ribbons)
- 1/2 C pasta water
- basil, chopped (for topping)
- parmesan cheese, grated (for topping)
- pasta, any kind you like – cook according to package directions
- Bring pasta water to a boil.
- Heat skillet over med heat. Add butter and olive oil. Cook until browned. Whisk in dijon (it may bubble up a bit, mine did). Add veggies (except kale), sausage, salt, and pepper.
- Cook pasta.
- Add wine/stock, pasta water, balsamic vinegar, and kale. Cook 5 minutes or so (until the liquid comes back to a boil, and boils for a little while).
- Toss the sauce with the drained pasta.
- Serve topped with basil and parmesan cheese.