Arlene’s Chicken or Turkey Salad
|Arlene’s Chicken or Turkey Salad||
- 2 cups chopped, cooked chicken or turkey.
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 apple diced
- 1/2 c blueberries – they’re in season right now so that’s why I chose them
- 1/ 2 c. grapes
- 1/2 c. nuts – I used walnuts, but you could use almonds or pecans just as easily
- Salad Dressing: 1/2 c mayonaise – either make your own or find one with as few ingredients as possible
- 1 orange – cut in half and squeeze out all the juice, then use one of the halves to zest
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- To the chicken or turkey add: cucumber, celery, apple, blueberries, grapes, nuts
- Use any combination of fruits and vegetables you like. I’ve even used chopped cherries when they’re in season. Since it’s peach season as well, you may want to try that as well.
- Stir this together.
- Mix all ingredients together and pour over the chicken mixture. Stir to coat well. Fill your plate with fresh greens and place about a cup of the chicken on top of the greens. And that’s it!
For a quick meal, purchase an already roasted rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. What I did was buy a 10 lb. turkey and roasted it with fresh rosemary, fresh lemons (juice squeezed all over the turkey and cut in half a laid in the roaster) salt and pepper. Roast at 325 degrees for about 4 hours. This way you have plenty of turkey for many different meals – after the turkey is off the bones, freeze using quart sized bags in 2 cup quantities.
This recipe is versatile. For instance use large tortillas to make a wrap or make lettuce wraps with it. It can also be place on top of bread to for a sandwich or as I often have done, eat it alone in a bowl! This is a “something for everyone” kind of meal!