With What You Have On Hand
My mom-in-law loves to make Pulled Pork Sandwiches (and we love to eat them). When we were at their house for Thanksgiving, she made them. But, it was just four of us eating, so there were lots leftover. I thought that it might make a yummy chili. I looked in their cupboards and they had some beans and tomatoes. We were set.
This is a super easy meal that can be made with what you have on hand! If you have something a little bit different, try it! Maybe you had roast beef, or chicken, that would taste great! Our Pulled Pork had BBQ Sauce in it, so if you aren’t using Pulled Pork, just add some (from the store or homemade). Use the veggies you have in your drawer, or things that sound good to you. If you prefer not to cook with wine, you could use an equal amount of apple cider… Got it?!
Make this. Hang out with your family or friends. Eat it along with some bread (mom made homemade Beer Bread – it was yummy!). Mmmmmm…
- 6 C fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 3 C pulled pork (with BBQ sauce)
- 1-14 oz. can Italian Stewed Tomatoes (or whatever canned tomatoes you have), diced
- 1-15 oz. can black beans, drained
- 1-15 oz. can kidney beans, drained
- 1-15 oz. can chili beans, drained (or pinto beans and add some: onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and tomato paste)
- 2-3 t (or 3-5 cloves) garlic, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 C chicken stock
- 1/2 C red wine (or apple cider)
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 t pepper
- 1/2 t red pepper flakes
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- 1 T lemon juice
- pepperjack cheese, cut into matchsticks, for topping
- Heat soup pot, add oil. When oil is hot, add onion, bell pepper, and seasonings. Cook for about 5 minutes, over medium heat.
- Add garlic, 2 min.
- Add balsamic vinegar, cook 1 minute.
- Add beans, tomatoes, and pork. Cook 10 minutes.
- Add stock and wine or cider. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, for at least 30 minutes, or until it’s the desired thickness (I wanted mine thick, so I cooked for a little longer than 30).
- Ten minutes before serving: add spinach and wilt down. Cook for 8 minutes. Add lemon juice, cook for 2 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve topped with cheese sticks.