So far, summer has found me kinda obsessed with lemon zest and basil with summer fruit. I love summer produce! (Ahem, lemons are one of the few fruits/veggies that I will buy out of season – I need lemons all the time!)
I just can’t get enough.
I made two different meals today that included them and have more planned for later in the week.
Since it’s summer and all, (even though it’s felt like summer for two months now!) we’re eating all things warm weather inspired. Drinks are summery… salads are, well, in and of themselves summery, so they don’t really need any help there… and French toast is a perfect summer lunch (or breakfast or dinner… you choose).
I made this for one, feel free to double or quadruple the recipe, and share with friends and family. Since it was for one, I just needed a single egg. You can kinda play with the egg mixture depending on how soggy you want the bread to be when it goes into the pan. For my taste, this was just perfect. (Any extra eggs when you’re done: scramble and serve alongside the French toast).
If you don’t like peanut butter, any nut butter will do.
If you don’t like nut butters, can’t eat them, don’t feel like it, you can totally omit this step.
For those that do (me me me!), it’s going on the inside of the stuffed toast… It’s gon’ be good!
The PB is topped with whatever seasonal fruit you have on hand. I used blueberries and peaches. You could use plums, apricots, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries… or in the winter, mix it up and do apples, pears, persimmons… this is a flexible dish.
Lemon zest and basil are sprinkled over the peanut buttery fruited bread that’s still soaking up the egg. Be careful when you flip it over to let the other side soak too, if you left it for too long it may be pretty soggy (cough cough, I did that).
I stood by the window and cooked this up in some coconut oil while I watched the tree branches sway in the summer breeze.
This picture, with the light from the window streaming in, makes me happy.
If you like maple syrup, glug it on. Mmmm syrup.
I squeezed a lemon slice over top. I wanted a bit more citrus. With the basil, berries, peaches, and zest, this French Toast is so bright, light, and cheerful. I just love it!
I didn’t save you any. I’m sorry. You’ll have to make your own. 😉
- 1 egg
- 1 T milk
- pinch salt
- 1 T peanut butter
- 2 slices bread
- 1/4 C peach, thinly sliced, divided
- 1/4 C blueberries, divided
- 1/4 t lemon zest, divided
- 1/2 t fresh basil, chopped, divided
- 1 T coconut oil
- maple syrup, for topping
- lemon slice, for topping
- In a shallow bowl, whisk egg with milk and salt.
- Spread peanut butter onto one piece of bread. Place un-peanut buttered side down into the egg mixture and top with some of the peach, blueberry, lemon zest, and basil. Top with the second slice of bread. Squish down and flip, so second slice absorbs remaining egg.
- Heat skillet. Add coconut oil. When oil is hot, add eggy bread. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 3-4 minutes. Flip and cook for 3-5 minutes more, or until it’s done.
- Serve topped with remaining peaches, blueberries, zest, basil, a drizzle of maple syrup, and a squeeze of lemon juice.