Spinach and Cheese Lasagna
|Spinach and Cheese Lasagna||
- 1 lb. lasagna noodles
- 6-8 C spinach, chopped
- pinch nutmeg
- 2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 C (8oz.) cottage cheese
- 1/4 C Greek yogurt
- 6 cloves garlic, diced
- 1/2 C spring onion, diced
- 2 T olive oil
- 4 C tomato sauce
- 1 C (8 oz.) fresh mozzarella, 1/2″ cubes
- 1 C parmesan, grated (divided 2/3 C, 1/3 C)
- 1/2 C water (opt.)
- 1 T olive oil
- Fresh herbs for topping (like basil, parsley, oregano)
- Parmesan cheese, for topping.
- Boil water. Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Heat pan, add olive oil. Add garlic and onion, cook 2 minutes. Add seasonings and spinach, a little bit at a time and wilt.
- Mix cheeses, cottage cheese, and yogurt.
- Cook pasta for 8-10 minutes.
- In greased 9×13 oven-safe dish, layer: tomato sauce, noodles (don’t overlap them), cheese mixture, a bit of tomato sauce, noodles, spinach mixture, noodles… sprinkle bacon over one layer… repeat until all ingredients are gone (unless you have extra noodles, don’t pile those on!). Top layer should have tomato sauce.
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes. Top with a sprinkle of olive oil (opt.), pour a bit of water around the side (if noodles need a bit more liquid), and top with reserved parmesan cheese and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve topped with a little more parmesan and some fresh herbs.
On the episode I felt like I could have had more filling, so here are the changes I would make:
1 1/2 C parmesan, grated (divided 1 C, 1/2 C)
2 C (16oz.) cottage cheese
2 C (16 oz.) fresh mozzarella, 1/2″ cubes
Great with a caesar salad!