Julia Child’s Oignons GlacÃƒÂ©s ÃƒÂ Brun (Brown-braised Onions)
|Julia Child’s Oignons GlacÃƒ©s Ãƒ Brun (Brown-braised Onions)||
- 18 to 24 peeled white onions about 1 inch in diameter
- 1 1/2 T butter
- 1 1/2 T oil
- a 9- to 10-inch skillet
- 1/2 C brown stock, canned beef bouillon, dry white wine, red wine, or water
- salt and pepper to taste
- a medium herb bouquet: 4 parsley sprigs, 1/2 bay lead, and 1/4 t thyme tied in cheesecloth (Note: I didn’t have cheesecloth, so I used a bag for loose tea, and knotted it at the end. I read that a coffee filter could also be used.)
- When butter and oil are bubbling in the skillet, add the onions and sautÃƒ© over moderate heat for about 10 minutes, rolling the onions about so they will brown as evenly as possibly. Be careful not to break their skins. You cannot expect to brown them uniformly.
- To braise them: Pour in liquid, season to taste, and add the herb bouquet. Cover and simmer slowly for 40 to 50 minites until the onions are perfectly tender but retain their shape, and the liquid has evaporated. Remove herb bouquet.
The onions may be cooked hours in advance, and reheated before serving.