Daikon Radish Cakes
|Daikon Radish Cakes||
- 3 cups daikon radishes, grated, salted, & drained
- 2 eggs
- one small onion, minced (about 1/2 cup or 1 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1+ cup toasted bread crumbs (I freeze the ends of the bread loaves no one seems to want to eat, and save them for crumbs)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp (or more!) garlic chili sauce (like Sriracha)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil for frying (approx 1/2 inch in your pan)
- Place the grated daikon in a colander nested in a large bowl, and sprinkle with salt to help it shed water. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Squeeze the liquid from the daikon, either by handful or all in cheesecloth. Discard the juice, and combine the grated daikon with the garlic, onion, egg, bread crumbs, pepper, paprika, and garlic chili sauce. Mix well.
- Form into small round patties by squishing the mixture into balls, squeezing out any extra liquid. Gently flatten the balls to form patties (think of making hamburger patties). The patties should stick together well, and shouldn’t crumble. Add more breadcrumbs or egg if necessary to reach the proper consistency.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium heat, until a piece of the mix dropped into the pan sizzles. Fry the patties until firm and browned, about 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels, and serve with sweet & sour sauce, more garlic chili sauce, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, or our favorite: non-fat Greek yogurt + soy sauce + garlic chili sauce!
Prep time of 60 minutes is really 30 min active + 30 min waiting.