Battered and Fried Mahi Mahi
|Battered and Fried Mahi Mahi||
- 1 package Mahi Mahi (about 1 lb.)
- 1 C flour (or so)
- 1 t paprika
- 1 egg
- 3-4 C oil (I used canola)
- Mix flour, paprika, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish. Whisk egg in a separate shallow dish.
- Heat oil in a deep dish.
- Coat fish in flour mixture, then in egg, then in flour mixture again. (Try to keep one hand as a the “dry” hand, the other as the “wet” one.) Set aside on a separate plate.
- When oil is hot (I stuck the end of a wooden spoon in – when it bubbled a bit around it, it was hot enough – don’t know if this is a real method, but it worked) carefully add fish, 2-3 pieces at a time (you don’t want to add too much and cool the oil down too much – this will result in slower cooking time, which means the fish will absorb more oil, resulting in greasier fish). Cook about 3-4 minutes, then flip, and cook 2-4 minutes more (I wanted the internal temperature to get to 165F).
- Remove from pan and drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Repeat with remaining fish (it took me 3 batches with about 1 lb. of fish).