Ok, they’ve been here for a few weeks, but let’s get excited none-the-less. Because because because we’re paring pears with sweet caramelized onions, and tangy gorgonzola cheese, all on a pizza crust.
ThisÃ‚ pizza (or flatbread if I’m using crust from the freezer) is pretty rich. I’d recommend serving it with something light, like a crisp spinach salad with a bright dressing. I’d recommend sharing it with someone that you love while watching a movie that’s equally rich and sometimes a bit goopy. I’d recommend eating it slowly, savoring the way the honey compliments the cheese which compliments the pears which are complimented by the caramelized onions. I’d recommend plenty of napkins. That’s what we did for Pizza Friday a few weeks ago. It was marvelous.
If you’ve got figs instead of pears, you could do a straight switch. Mmm that would be good too. Have you ever tried roasted figs? They’re as good as roasted pears… as roasted anything.
Roasting fruits and veggies brings out a deep richness that we may otherwise not know is there. It’s a complex taste. It could be likened to the way a good movie, a great song, a lovely piece of art can resonateÃ‚ in our souls.The way an aged cheese, a full bodied wine, or reduced balsamic vinegar have a depthÃ‚ to them that lends a broader sense of the original flavor.
Food goes beyond the nourishment, enjoyment, and strength that it provides. It can be art.
And it sure does taste good.
I like edible art.
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 T honey
- 1-2 ripe pears, thinly sliced
- 1/4 to 1/2 C gorgonzola
- 1-2 t olive oil
- 1 pizza crust
- honey, for serving
- Pre-heat oven to 425F.
- Add onion and honey to a dry skillet. Cook over medium-low or low heat for 20-30 minutes, or until onions are caramelized, stirring occasionally.
- Roll out crust on a greased baking sheet. Poke all over with a fork, if desired. Bake for 5 minutes.
- Top crust with a drizzle of olive oil, pear, onion, pepper, and gorgonzola. Bake for 7-10 minutes, or until crust is done and cheese is melted.
- Drizzle with honey and serve.